Before abandoning the works on the church at the Colònia Güell, in October 1914 Gaudí designed some items of furniture. His intention was to leave the lower aisle furnished and the crypt ready for the expected opening for worship, which finally occurred in November 1915. Gaudí designed the door of the sacristy and the benches for worshippers, pieces executed by the carpenters of the Colònia, Tomàs and Enric Bernat. The architect was also responsible for the church's unusual font, made from large scallops shells brought from the Philippines secured with wrought iron. Other furniture and liturgical items of the crypt were installed after Gaudí left the works.